Introducing the Aztec Tile Blanket Knit-Along (KAL) designed by the talented Lynne Rowe inspired by Art Deco style and her love of strong colours and geometric shapes. Lynne has shared her personal story and inspiration on this with you.
"I live close to Stoke-on-Trent, which is also called ‘The Potteries’ due to its ceramic heritage. One of the most famous and influential local ceramic artists is Clarice Cliff (1899-1972), who started to create her own designs in bright colours and Art Deco style. Her designs are still as popular and collectible as ever, and her distinctive patterns are instantly recognisable.
I have taken my inspiration from her use of strong colours and geometric shapes and combined these with carefully chosen stitch patterns to create a blanket that has the feel of a large Art Deco tile. First, I designed a central diamond then worked around it in a ‘log cabin’ style by adding one edge strip at a time, so that it’s easy to make but is visually striking as well as vibrant and unusual. To complete the blanket, I have added a row of tassels along each edge in matching yarns.
I’ve included simple stitch patterns, starting with garter stitch and basketweave stitch, then moving on to slipped stitches that create a mosaic effect, including an Aztec-style mosaic border. I hope it shows that by using simple techniques, you can still create something that is visually beautiful." - Lynne Rowe.
Lynne has given you the opportunity to choose between the vibrant, colourful Rainbow colourway in Deramores Studio DK; a wonderfully soft acrylic yarn that has been developed with anti-pilling technology. Perfect for knitting or crocheting garments, toys, accessories, and blankets. Winner of the British Knitting & Crochet Awards 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2019 (not that we’re ones to boast!). or the subtle, warming Pastel colourway in Rowan Summerlite DK; a beautiful Egyptian Giza cotton that offers excellent stitch definition that is simply ideal for detailed designs.
The Knit-Along (KAL) will commence on 22nd November 2019 for a duration of 4 weeks, with a new section of the pattern added every week, Friday at 10.30 am GMT on Website, dedicated Facebook group - Deramores: The Projects, Social Media, Blog, and on our Newsletter. The Pattern will be available FREE as a Digital Download and comes in UK Terminology. The Digital Pattern will vary depending on the yarn pack chosen. Choose between Rainbow Colourway variant in Deramores Studio DK or Pastel Colourway variant in Rowan Summerlite DK, from the drop-down menu above.
Size: 112cm x 112cm approx (excluding Tassels)
Yarn Pack - Rainbow Colourway - Deramores Studio DK:
- 2 x Deramores Studio DK - Ebony (70027)
- 2 x Deramores Studio DK - Fir (70012)
- 2 x Deramores Studio DK - Peridot (70011)
- 1 x Deramores Studio DK - Malachite (70014)
- 2 x Deramores Studio DK 50g - Burnt Orange (70059)
- 1 x Deramores Studio DK - Mustard (70058)
- 1 x Deramores Studio DK - Heather (70046)
- 2 x Deramores Studio 50g DK - Aubergine (70010)
- 1 x Deramores Studio DK - Ruby (70006)
- 1 x Deramores Studio DK - Topaz (70039)
Please note we have substituted:
- 1 x Deramores Studio DK - Aubergine (70010) for 2 x Deramores Studio 50g DK - Aubergine (70010)
- 1 x Deramores Studio DK - Burnt Orange (70059) for 2 x Deramores Studio DK 50g - Burnt Orange (70059)
Yarn Pack - Pastel Colourway - Rowan Summerlite DK:
- 5 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Linen (460)
- 4 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Plaster (452)
- 2 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Ocean (459)
- 2 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Lagoon (457)
- 2 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Mocha (451)
- 2 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Seashell (466)
- 1 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Rouge (462)
- 1 x Rowan Summerlite DK - Pink Powder (472)
You will require 3.75mm Straight Knitting needles, 3.75mm (80-100cm) Circular Knitting needles, Tape measure, Tapestry needle, Scissors for finishing tassels and Stitch markers. Discover more from Lynne on her website.
Note from Lynne:
"I hope you enjoy the process of knitting my Aztec Tile blanket. The simple, repetitive patterns are perfect to help you develop a gentle rhythm so that you can relax, switch off and find the calmness in your stitches."